Summer heat is on the mind of every dog owner. We slap on some sunscreen, sunglasses, and grab a water bottle to battle the heat while our four-legged loved ones have different needs.
Here’s 5 easy tricks to helping your pup to stay healthy while enjoying their dog days of summer:
- A Cooler Bandanna – Dogs regulate their body temp through their paws and by panting… and some actually get sweaty arm pits like my dog. You can help them prevent getting overheated by converting their normal bandanna into a cooler accessory. Simple wet the bandanna, wring it out and then freeze it to make it icy cool before leaving for an outdoor adventure or a healthy exercise with your St. Pete dog walker.
- PUPcicle Treats – Every dog will tell you the key to their heart is through their stomach. On a hot summer day, your pup will LOVE this cold treat. Whether it is as simple as frozen watermelon cubes or homemade chicken broth pops *see recipe here* Your pup will thank you for a cool treat after walking in St. Pete.
- Play Near Water – It doesn’t take a golden retriever or a lab to appreciate the cooling affect of playing near water. It could be your own pool, a kiddie pool and lawn sprinklers or the dog friendly beach at Fort Desoto Beach in St. Pete Florida. Your St. Pete pet sitter will even transport your dog to the beach for a day of play while you are working!
- Shorter Hair Cuts – Not every breed can pull of the shaved look like a greyhound but consider going a little shorter than usual at your next grooming appointment. It not only help cut down on overheating but shorter hear is also a great deterrent of fleas. Remember that dogs need sun block too! If your dog has exposed skin or thin hair, you can apply sunscreen to your dog’s skin. Another reason to hire a professional pet sitter like Regal Pet Services who will know how to protect your pet from the sun’s rays… just saying 🙂
- Pool Treats – Why not combine two of the things your dogs loves most! Use treats that float in the pool – it makes for a fun game and will keep your pup loving the benefits of play and saying cool. Speaking of floating… your dogs will love a comfortable dog float to hang out right next to you in the pool this summer.
If you are always in a rush or can never seem to have the time to give your dog the good, long walk they need – give us a call and set up a free initial visit. After that one meeting you will be all set up for any future occasions or when you need to go out of town.
Your St. Pete Dog Walker is licensed, bonded and insured so your home and pet are well protected. Read our reviews online and you will see why we are the choice for Dog Walking in St. Petersburg covering all areas of South Pinellas including Downtown St. Pete, Kenwood, Old Northeast, St. Pete Beach, Gulfport, Treasure Island, Tyrone, Pasadena… all the way to Carillon and Gandy Blvd area.
You will meet your St. Pete dog walking provider in the FREE initial meeting and decide from there what is the next step for you and your dogs… Call 727-560-5517 to schedule now!